Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Welcome Jeremiah!

 We welcomed Jeremiah Gray to the world yesterday at 5:05pm.  He's a hefty chunk at 9 lbs 7 ounces and 22 inches long.







Ok, so birth story!  Had a normal night Friday night, and woke up at normal time Saturday morning.  Curtis made waffles for breakfast, and Toby wanted to play a board game as soon as we were done cleaning up.  We settled in on the floor of the playroom and didn't even get in 2 turns before I felt an odd gush - waters had broken.  Thankfully, not with a bang and there was no mess to clean up.  But...no contractions.  So I called my midwife and she said to come in when they started, or noon if nothing before then.  So we waited...and waited...and despite a few cramps here and there, no real contractions.

At noon we headed in to the birth center, still no contractions and I was at 4-5 cm.  At 2 they hooked me up for my antibiotic (Group B Strep) and gave me a breast pump hoping to start contractions naturally.  Luckily it worked like a charm, contractions started up strong and even at 2 minutes apart. I walked a bit, came back to the room and was at 6cm, so at least things were moving,  Around 4 the nurse asked if I'd like to try the tub, as it would take a while to fill, so I said sure.  About 4:30 I got into the jacuzzi tub (awesome!), labored in there for about 20 minutes and all of a sudden I wanted to get checked.  Fully effaced at 10!  My midwife said if I didnt want to deliver in the tub I needed to MOVE so we did.  10 minutes later Jeremiah entered the world, a little blue from a tight umbilical cord but his color came in quickly.  Another quickie birth and with only a tiny first degree tear, recovery has been a breeze as well.  I need to remember to take it easy-  my body is telling my when I overdo it, but I feel really good. 

We came home yesterday (my original due date) and are settling in.  The dog is terrified (I do remember now, when we brought Toby home from the hospital he sneezed in the dog's face when they were meeting each other, instilling a fear of tiny humans into our dog).  Last night Jeremiah started crying and the dog shot out from his sleeping spot under our bed to give us disapproving looks. 

The kids are loving their new brother - Lucy especially loves holding him, helping pick out outfits...he is a live baby doll.  And his hiccups are her favorite part!  I have to admit, squeaky hiccups are pretty adorable!

So now it's just time to settle into a new routine here at home - though it seems like that's something we're always doing...change just seems par for the course.  Welcome Jeremiah, we love you!

No comments: