Friday, October 23, 2009

Wet Weekend

This is the one weekend at the zoo I look forward to all year long...Boo and the Zoo...a two day event with games and musicians/ magicians/ clowns and all sorts of fun for the kids...and with our season pass, that makes it a free extra-fun day at the zoo. So I've been planning this trip for probably 2 months now. It's a Saturday/ Sunday event...I really preferred to go on Saturday, as Sunday gets full quite fast, but the weather report was sketchy for Saturday. Calling for showers, but warm weather, and they said several times it wouldn't be a washout of a day. So Curtis and I decided we don't mind getting a little wet, we'd take umbrellas and rain jackets, and we'd have fun no matter what.

That was before Toby had his vote.

So this is a Halloween/ costume event. Lucy's costume for this year is a skunk, but that is a warm fleece costume, so I pulled out her little NC State cheerleader outfit (got it for super cheap last year on clearance) and dressed her up. Toby was adamant he was not wearing his costume, so we said, fine, you don't have to, and packed up for the zoo.

It wasn't raining when we got there, which gave us a little time to play games and look around before the rains came...and when it rained, it poured. Lucy loved her rainjacket and ran around in the rain having a grand time. But Toby...well, Toby was not in a happy go lucky mood. He refused to put up his hood, he refused to get out of the stroller to look at animals, and he refused to have the stroller hood over his head...so he pretty much sat in the rain and got soaked. By the halfway point it was time for lunch, but the rain was really coming down, so we decided to pull the plug, make for the car, and find a bite for a lot cheaper in Asheboro. Poor Toby was so cold at this point his lips were blue, but we found some dry clothes for him and he was better soon. But it really was a washout of a day, and what's worse, I didn't even see the special exhibit of African Violets that I was really looking forward to seeing! Bah.

Here are some pics...the first is from earlier this week when Toby climbed in the crib with Lucy...they had a grand time of it :)

Lucy the cheerleader

Toby's Halloween shirt
Lucy loved the turtles
Exploring the zoo
Playing games
And watching the sea lions (the both loved them!)
Anyway, we pulled out of the zoo and the sun came out (no joke). We talked about going back after lunch, but Toby was pretty cold so we decided to pass, and by the time we got home it was raining again anyway. Today has been a quiet day around the house.

Toby is pretty excited about Halloween so I'm really hoping for nice weather next weekend!

No comments: